ceremony/ ˈsɛr əˌmoʊ ni /
Definition of Ceremony
- Formal activities undertaken on an important occasion.
- A sacred or religious rite.
- A formal act that is mostly meaningless.
- Adherence to convention or standardized norms.
Usage of Ceremony
- Are you going to the wedding ceremony?
- The church ceremony is Sunday morning.
- He shook my hand, but it was only ceremony.
- The breathless man had no time for ceremony.
Origins of Ceremony
The word ceremony first appeared in English in the mid-14th Century. It is derived from the Latin word caerimonia, which means “sacred or religious rite.”