encourage/ ɛnˈkɜr ɪdʒ, -ˈkʌr- /
verb (used with object)
Meaning of encourage
- To inspire or bring confidence to
- To bring advancement to through approval or assistance
- To advance, promote or condone
Usage of encourage
- He was encouraged by his father’s advice.
- The students were encouraged to do their best by their teacher.
- A good home life encourages strong academic performance.
Origins of encourage
The word encourage, in its modern form, likely dates back to the 1450s, and is derived from the late Middle English word encoragen, which, itself, was derived from the Middle French encoragier. These words are derived from the same root as courage.